The New Zealand Tahr Foundation was incorporated in 2016 and represents all organisations with an interest in managing the tahr herds of New Zealand. The Constituted membership is:
- NZ Professional Hunting Guides Assn
- New Zealand Deer Stalkers Assn
- Aerially Assisted Trophy Hunters
- Safari Club International NZ Chapter
- NZ Association of Game Estates
- NZ Tahr Farmers
- Helicopter WARO Tahr Concession Holders
- High Country Farmers
- Representative of Unaffiliated Recreational Hunters
The Committee has the following Advisor representatives:
- Department of Conservation
- Game Animal Council
- Aoraki- Canterbury Conservation Board
- West Coast Conservation Board.
The purpose of the Foundation is:
- To actively manage Tahr as a "Herd of Special Interest" under the Game Animal Council Act (2013), in order to provide enhanced benefits to hunters and a higher level of protection for the forests and grasslands in which they live.
- To advance a management regime that involves a collaborative partnership between Recreational and Commercial Tahr Hunters, the Game Animal Council, the Department of Conservation, the local Iwi, interested landowners and businesses with an interest in Tahr.
- To achieve and maintain consistent, appropriate harvest levels of healthy Tahr by better coordination of recreational and commercial Tahr hunting.
- To increase the understanding of the Tahr herd through better information and education.